Saturday, 21 July 2012
Nora Ephron's 25 Things...
Twenty-Five Things People have a shocking capacity to be surprised by over and over again
by Nora Ephron (1941-2012)
1. Journalists sometimes make things up.
2. Journalists sometimes get things wrong.
3. Almost all books that are published as memoirs are initially written as novels, and then the agent/editor says, this might work better as a memoir.
4. Beautiful young women sometimes marry ugly, old rich men.
5. In business, there is no such thing as synergy in the good sense of the term.
6. Freedom of the press belongs to the man who owns one.
7. Nothing written in today’s sports pages makes sense to anyone who didn’t read yesterday’s sports pages.
8. There is no explaining the stock market but people try.
9. The Democrats are deeply disappointing.
10. Movies have no political effect whatsoever.
11. High-protein diets work.
12. A lot of people take the Bible literally.
13. Pornography is the opiate of the masses.
14. You can never know the truth of anyone’s marriage, including your own.
15. People actually sign pre-nuptial agreements. 16. Mary Matalin and James Carville are married.
17. Muslims hate us.
18. Everybody lies.
19. The reason why it’s important for a Democrat to be President is the Supreme Court.
20. Howard Stern is apparently very nice in person.
21. In Manhattan a small one-bedroom apartment that needs work costs $1 million.
22. People look like their dogs.
23. Cary Grant was Jewish.
24. Cary Grant wasn’t Jewish.
25. Larry King has never read a book.
Yes, not all of them translate. Cary Grant was from Bristol.