Somebody on Twitter/X asked: Who were the Manosphere 50 years ago? I replied:
They were the man down the pub.
They were the man down the pub who knew the answer to everything.
They were the landlord who wouldn't let women order at the bar until the law forced him to.
They were the Turkish old men's club.
They were gentlemen's clubs in Pall Mall.
They were magazine editors who didn't run pieces by women but published any dross by their friends.
They were the ones who claimed "woman can't drive" until you showed them the stats.
They were the ones who told you women don't have logical minds - and who couldn't follow an argument.
Who claimed women only worked for "pin money", so they didn't need equal pay.
Who shouted "Cheer up, love it may never happen!"
Who wrote ads for airlines: "I'm Mandy, fly me!"
Who plastered their workplaces with pix cut out of porn mags, so that women couldn't work there.
Who sold porn mags in every newsagent, displayed within view of children.
Who sold "joke" keyrings reading "Avoid r@pe, say yes!"
Who sold cigarillos with the slogan: "You've come a long way, baby!"
We've still got a way to go. I complained about the keyrings and got a frosty response. But next time I went into the shop, the proprietor said: "You know, I've been thinking about what you said, and I've taken the keyrings off sale."
More about the 70s here, and links to the rest.
Ramblings about words, art, books, the media and Golden Age detective stories. Buy me a kofi at: https://ko-fi.com/lucyrfisher
Monday, 27 July 2026
What I Don't Miss About the 70s, 5
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment