Saturday 24 June 2023

Punctuation: Hope's Stultitude

I'm posting this poem here because I Googled it but could only find a mention in my Amazon review of a compilation of Burgess's work. Commas can make your meaning clearer but some feel that you can do without them altogether.


HOPE'S STULTITUDE A CHEERFUL LAY
AT LEAST I LIKE IT ANYWAY

GELLETT BURGESS

The dismal day with dreary pace hath dragged its tortuous length along the gravestones black and funeral vase cast horrid shadows long.

Oh let me die and never mourn upon the joys of long ago with cankering thoughts the world's forlorn – a wilderness of woe!

For in the grave's dark bed to be though grim and dismal it appears is sadder not it seems to me than harrowing nights of tears.


His other works include The Maxims of Methusaleh being advice to girls on how to get married yes that's right pretend there's nothing farther from your thoughts same old same old and Are You a Bromide? which tells you what to say in any situation in order not to stick out from the crowd and upset people you don't want to do that and you'll certainly never get married that way.


No comments:

Post a Comment