Sunday, 19 July 2009
10 Bible Phrases
1. No peace for the wicked (not “no rest”) Isa 48:22 [There is] no peace, saith the LORD, unto the wicked. Isa 57:21 [There is] no peace, saith my God, to the wicked.
2. Crowning glory Proverbs 16:30-32 “The hoary head is a crown of glory, if it be found in the way of righteousness.” 1 Corinthians 11:14-16 “But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.”
3. Fly in the ointment Ecclesiastes 10:1-2 “Dead flies cause the ointment of the apothecary to send forth a stinking savour: so doth a little folly him that is in reputation for wisdom and honour.”
4. Gird up your loins – ie do up your belt, possibly hitching up your clothes so they don’t get in the way. Job 38:3 Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me. 1 Peter 1:13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.
5. Powers that be Romans “The powers that be are ordained by God.”
6. Tender mercies Psa 51:1 Have mercy upon me, O God, according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions.
7. Wheels within wheels Eze 1:16 The appearance of the wheels and their work [was] like unto the colour of a beryl: and they four had one likeness: and their appearance and their work [was] as it were a wheel in the middle of a wheel.
8. Ends of the earth Psalm 65 “O God of our salvation: who are the confidence of all the ends of the earth.”
9. Hold forth Philippians 2:16 Christians should go through the world “holding forth the word of life.”
10. In all its glory Luk 12:27 Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.